Monday, October 16, 2006

I Just Didn't Do It

After making my public announcement last week that I would no longer be submitting any entries to the FanLit contest, I spent last night tossing and turning, unable to sleep because an idea for a Round Five chapter had wormed its way into my consciousness and refused to leave me alone. Even though I knew I didn't want to go down that road again, I was mightily tempted. I even started writing the darn thing.

Now, before you castigate me too much for my momentary lapse, you should know that over the weekend, I managed to churn out eight pages of Living in Sin. I had a brainstorm last week for a way to replace some internal dialogue in the fifth chapter that really amounted to a long, boring section of "telling" with a couple of scenes that would "show" the same information. And I'm quite pleased with the result. It needs a bit of spit and polish, of course, but it's much better than what I had before and I'm so glad I did it. The only problem with it is that it's so good, the scene that comes right before it now suffers by comparison because it was written months ago and isn't as "snappy" in terms of showing the characters' emotions as the new one!

This is probably why you should write a throwaway novel (or, perhaps better yet, FanLit entries) first to develop your craft and then write the story you really care about. The trouble I have in revising these scenes that I wrote when my craft was in its infancy is that I'm so close to them, I can't see what's wrong with them unless someone hits me over the head. But when I do see what's wrong, I can't always find a way to fix it without throwing off the pace and flow of the entire scene. I should probably just start again from scratch when this happens, but that feels a bit like throwing out the baby with the bathwater. After all, it's not like there's nothing in these older scenes worth saving. And so I end up with a scene that's serviceable, but shows signs of having been patched up one too many times.

Since I was actually able to write something other than a FanLit entry, you might be wondering why I flirted with writing another one anyway. Well, first Avon guidelines for this week's chapter were tough. The requirements demanded the writers fill a plot hole that the voters had steadfastly ignored when choosing the winning entry for four weeks in a row. Entries that had tried to fill it in past rounds were steadfastly shot down in flames. Everyone on the forums complained that the premise had killed their muses. So, when I came up with an idea that seemed rather clever and unique, the desire to show it off was pretty darned strong. Especially with the knowledge that others were finding it difficult and that likely meant there would be far fewer entries this round than last.

Yes, deep down, I'd still like to win a FanLit round. Not for the prizes and not for the fishbowl head, but because I want the publishing credit. Even if it's just a single chapter in a silly e-book novella about nothing. That's all I really care about.

But despite the urge, I managed to be the master of my own domain. I just didn't do it.

I can't claim it was solely a matter of willpower, though. If it had been a normal work day and I'd been at home in front of the computer all day, I suspect I'd have succumbed. As it was, I had to go into the office and teach a class all day, which meant I had less than an hour and half in which to pump out my ~1,500 words and post them to the site. I probably could have done if I'd put my mind to it.

But I didn't. And I'm proud of that.

5 comments:

Lynne Simpson said...

I know what you mean about skill mismatches in the same manuscript. :-) There are parts of my epic fantasy stories that sound like someone else wrote them! I'm just getting around to revising some of that older material, and it's gonna be brutal. Before I had my little break from epic fantasy a couple of years ago, I was trying to force myself into a pseudo-legendary, "Woo woo" voice that was totally NOT me, and all the pieces that were written that way have to be redone.

Glad you're making such good progress on your WIP! It'll be all ready to go when you get that request. :-)

Jackie Barbosa said...

Well, unfortunately, this week and weekend are going to be a bit of a loss, since I'm teaching in my office Mon-Thurs, and then we're going camping this weekend. (Love camping, hate getting ready to go camping.)

I might get something done Friday morning, and maybe a little tonight, but probably not much otherwise!

Sarah Palmero said...

I admire your determination and fortitude. I may actually borrow a litle. Well. No, but I may use you as inspiration.

lacey kaye said...

It won't take that much work to bring the scene up to scratch. But I did run into this myself, and I know it's a pain in the rear. Just stick with it! And yes--you may end up just rewriting the scene. It didn't hurt that bad when you wrote the new first chapter, did it?

Jackie Barbosa said...

Ah, but I didn't really rewrite the now-second scene that used to be the first scene. It's practically unaltered. I just couldn't bear to throw out all that great dialogue, especially Patrick's, and try to write it again from scratch. /Shudder

And Sara, I'm happy to do whatever I can for the cause. I have to say, it's not like I've gotten anything done since the weekend. I've just been desperately trying to get through all the FanLit entries people have invited me to read before voting closes tomorrow and leave useful comments (I'm running out of time for the useful comments, I'm afraid!).