Wednesday, October 11, 2006

When Real Life Intervenes

This is going to be a short post! I should have written it last night, but real life intervened.

First, did you know it is no longer possible to fly non-stop from San Diego to Burbank? I have to go to a client site today (I work for a credit union data processing software company) and, as you've probably guessed, it's in Burbank. I wanted to fly. I can think of few things that are as great a waste of time as driving several hours. I'd rather spend the same amount of time in airports and on planes. At least in airports and on planes, I can commune with my laptop and get something useful done!

When I first found out about this client visit, I figured I'd fly to Burbank. It would give me a great opportunity to get some work done on my manuscript. But then I started looking for flights and discovered that to get to Burbank on a plane, I have to fly to Las Vegas first. What the heck?

So now I have to drive. Yahoo Maps optimistically estimates it will take me 2 hours and 14 minutes to get from my house to the client site. Um, on what planet? Obviously, Yahoo has never actually driven in Los Angeles. The last time I drove to a client site in LA, it took me more than four hours and it was closer the Burbank. The traffic was terrible.

Wish me luck. I hate driving in LA!

No comments: