Monday, October 30, 2006

Truth or Dare

Just read Lainey Bancroft's blog and discovered that I have been tagged in a new game started by Jude Hardin on his blog. The idea is to come up with five scintillating facts about yourself, one of which is untrue. Your readers then get to guess which one is the lie.

I must admit, I had a hard time coming up with five suitably improbable facts about myself to throw you off the scent, but perhaps I've succeeded.

  1. In college, I had a boyfriend who called me during Christmas break and asked if I wanted to go to Hong Kong with him. I said I'd love to, but I didn't have a passport. No problem, he said, neither did he. We got our passports overnight in Honolulu and went to Bangkok and Hong Kong. Upon our return, customs said they'd been waiting for us and separated us for questioning. They asked me if anyone had offered to sell me drugs. I considered, then truthfully answered in the affirmative. Excited, they asked, "Where?" They weren't impressed with my answer. "In Honolulu, before we left."

  2. I was eliminated from the eighth grade spelling bee on the word "connoisseur". The kid who won spelled "hermit."

  3. My husband proposed to me under the influence of a fortune cookie. Nearly 17 years and three kids later, I still wonder whether that fortune cookie was a plant.

  4. I once fainted at Tom Cruise's feet, but not because I was impressed by his stardom. I was just dehydrated. I blame it all on the Sports Car Club of America. I am, incidentally, taller than he is.

  5. I had to be helicoptered out of Mineral King Valley after I tripped early in a backpacking trip and broke my nose. My first thoughts when I opened my eyes after falling were, "I hope blood doesn't ruin contact lenses and, boy, do I have to pee." My contacts cleared up right away, but it was five hours before I got to pee.

So, now it's up to you to figure out which one is the clinker. Good luck!

And, to follow Lainey's fine example, tag Lacey, Lynne, Jody, Sara and Erica: you're it!

12 comments:

Darcy Burke said...

Barbara,
I don't know as much about you as I do Lacey so this is tough! Process of elimination then:

1 - Too funny and weird to not be true.
2 - Cute but could be it.
3 - Also potential bull.
4 - No one would lie about claiming to have fainted at Tom Cruise's feet. In fact, I'm surprised you mentioned it at all, LOL!
5 - I know you wear contacts so I'm going to assume this is true.

I'm going to guess 3. (Crossing fingers and closing one eye...)
Darcy

Sarah Palmero said...

I'm a hopeless romantic so I'm hoping that your husband proposed at a fortune cookie's prompting.

Iiiii'm going to guess #1.

And I'll do this. Really, I will.

If I can think up five interesting things. :)

Word verification: buzfeewm. The sound my brain is making trying to think of things.

Jackie Barbosa said...

Go, Sara! I totally didn't think I could think up five things, either, but I did.

And I'll wait until tomorrow to reveal which one is the fib. Unless you're really dying to know, of course!

lacey kaye said...

I'm going to guess #2. But this is really, really tough! Is it crazy the things we're willing to believe about you?

Jackie Barbosa said...

I love it that everyone's chosen something different so far. I managed to make this tougher than I thought.

But I think part of the reason it's hard is that all of these things *did* happen; they just didn't all happen to *me*!

Lynne Simpson said...

All of them sound like they could've happened. :-) I'm guessing number four!

Lynne Simpson said...

The thing that always annoyed me about spelling bees was that the words weren't all the same difficulty. You wuz robbed, Jacqueline! :-)

I always preferred spelling competitions where everyone had to take a written test. It doesn't make for good TV, of course, but the playing field is much more level.

Jackie Barbosa said...

I'd kick butt on a written spelling bee.

The only reason I missed "connoisseur" (outing the fact that this is, in fact, a true story) was because I couldn't "see" it. I got all the letters right, I just reversed the o and the i. If I'd have been able to write it down, I'd have seen the mistake and corrected it!

That said, I'm a pretty darned good oral speller. In fact, sometimes I think my other name should be "dictionary", considering how often my family uses me as one.

Hmmm, my verification word is secebzja. Looks like a borrow word from Czech.

lacey kaye said...

Darn! I so thought I had it :-)

Jackie Barbosa said...

Okay, it's Tuesday morning and everyone has chosen something different and I can't stand keeping the secret any more.

Lynne is the winner and undisputed champeen! The Tom Cruise story is, in fact, the clinker. But I think I made it harder because that did actually happen. It's just that it happened to my sister, not me!

And Lainey, the way you break your nose while backpacking is when you trip stepping off a rock and your backpack (which isn't on tight enough yet because it's early in the hike and you never start with it as tight as it should be for fear of a crick in your neck) shift forward. And then, rather than putting your hands out to break your fall, you put them back, trying to reshift your weight and stop the fall. Voila, you do a facer on a rock and the rest, as they say, is history.

And Sara, I'm a hopeless romantic, too, and love the fortune cookie story. But because this happened in a tiny Chinese restaurant at which my husband was a regular, I've always wondered if he didn't rig that fortune!

Lynne Simpson said...

I don't know how I'm gonna last until Friday, Jacqueline! :-) I may crack before then.

My little Australian cattle dog nearly broke my nose a few weeks ago, so I can totally believe that you broke your nose while backpacking. Ouch! The story about the fortune cookie is way cool, by the way. Hope it makes it into a book!

Jackie Barbosa said...

I will be waiting with baited breath, Typing Slave!