Friday, November 03, 2006

Contest Results

Well, it's official. Right before I went to bed last night, I received notification that my manuscript finished third in the Golden Rose. I was actually pretty pleased about that because, as I mentioned earlier in the week, it looks to me like I was fourth in the first round, so hey, I moved up a place, right!

But this morning I went and looked at the site and, darn it, I'm bummed because the first and second finishers both got requests for fulls from Hilary Sares at Kensington. Arrrrrr. So close!

Honestly, I was so pleased to final that I shouldn't complain. I really don't think that version of the manuscript was quite ready for prime time. It's certainly better now and, if it can get to the final round in the CONNections contest (and there are no guarantees!), it might have a realistic shot at getting a request for a full from Tessa Woodward at Avon. And I should know next week, if not before.

Congrats to Erica, whose Witness received honorable mention in the very competitive Romantic Suspense category (which had five finalists).

6 comments:

Sarah Palmero said...

Congratulations on placing! Here's hoping it gets read by Tessa.

lacey kaye said...

You're not out yet, Jacq. You're SO CLOSE!

Jackie Barbosa said...

Thanks, Sara. I'm crossing my fingers for a final in the CTRWA contest now, but I know better than to set my expectations too high!

And I think it's being SO CLOSE that bugs me. If NOBODY had gotten a request or only ONE person had, I wouldn't have the feeling that I just missed by a hair!

Lynne Simpson said...

Congratulations on placing, Jacqueline! Good luck with Connections! :-)

Ann Aguirre said...

Congrats!

Jackie Barbosa said...

Thanks, Leigh and Annie. As I posted, it's past the deadline for announcing the finalists of the CONNections contest, so I wouldn't be surprised to find the first round feedback sheets in the mail any day now (meaning I didn't final). Buuuuut, they did extend the deadline for submissions, so maybe the deadline for announcements has also been extended.

Tough to know! I guess there's still hope, but I prefer to err on the side of thinking I didn't final and expecting those feedback sheets!