Saturday, November 04, 2006

My Own Personal NaNo Day

My husband and oldest son went camping early this morning, leaving me to my own devices for a whole day. And my own devices, by definition, include writing.

Now I haven't exactly been fast today. I started at 6:30 this morning and, fourteen hours later, I've written a little over seven pages. But then, I've been interrupted by my two other children (who thoughtlessly insist on being fed, bathed, and helped with the DVD player) on more than one occasion, had to make a trip to the grocery store and Starbucks*, and of course, the laundry and a bit of housecleaning must still get done.

But, all in all, I'm thrilled with my progress. I can smell the end. I can't quite taste it yet, but I can smell it .

If only every day could be a NaNo day! I'd be finished in no time.

*I had to go to Starbucks because my husband forbids me to operate Miss Sylvia, his precious $500 espresso machine (and rightly so, as I have no interest in learning to drive it correctly) and he had the unmitigated gall to take the single cup drip cone with him on his camping trip, thereby leaving me with no means to make a decent cup of coffee. We got rid of our drip machines years ago because we never used them.

When we first got Miss Sylvia a couple of years ago, my husband couldn't get a decent pull out of it. After many attempts, we did some research and concluded the problem was our grinder. It wasn't producing a consistent enough grind to suit the touchy new machine. My husband hemmed and hawed about spending an additional $400 on a grinder that would do the job. I finally looked at him and said, "Honey, without a good grinder, Miss Sylvia is like a very expensive prostitute you can't have sex with." Except, I used coarser words for "prostitute" and "have sex with." The next day, he ordered the grinder.

Okay, back to writing!

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

You killed me with that last line to your husband!

Jackie Barbosa said...

It was one of the few times in my life I've actually had the snappy rejoinder when I needed it. Which must be the reason it's one of my favorite stories, LOL!

Anonymous said...

You got a picture!

Jackie Barbosa said...

Yep. Except now I'm a fishbowl head on my own blog. Not sure I like THAT! But my website graphic is too big to shrink down.

Hmmmm...

Darcy Burke said...

Fishbowl head with devil eyes! (Sorry, I read your email first.) It's a lovely photo! And you absolutely slay me. Ah, Miss Sylvia, the dirty, er, prostitute.
Darcy

Jackie Barbosa said...

Yay, Blogger finally allowed Darcy to post without crashing, LOL!

I really like this picture, but it is getting to be a bit on the old side. I haven't changed that much, but it was taken at my sister's wedding back in 2000. The graphic design artist at my company at the time (hi, Ame, if you're out there!) cut my daughter (who was a little over a year old at the time and making a screamy sort of face) out of the picture and replaced the background of the banquet hall with that blue stuff. Voila, a glamour shot (or, at least, that's what people at my office said when they saw it.

And around here, a day without Miss Sylvia is like a day without sunshine!

lacey kaye said...

Thank God I can finally post again! yay!

Jackie Barbosa said...

That's good, Lacey. But it's weird--now are your earlier posts are "anonymous" and my fishbowl head is gone. Strange!