Thursday, November 02, 2006

Go Darcy! It's Your Birthday!

Not really. But I bet it feels better than a birthday to be finished with Notorious!

That's right, folks, at the stroke of midnight last night, Darcy finished her manuscript. She doesn't have her own blog yet so she can't make her own announcement, which means Lacey and I get to do it for her. (Lacey and I keep trying to convince her to get with the program because Blogger is so unbelievably easy, but now I'm thinking maybe she's smart not to blog. Because when I think of how many words I've blogged in the past week versus how many words of my manuscript I've written... Well, let's just say, it ain't a pretty ratio!)

So now two of my critique partners have finished their first books. (Actually, Kim and Erica both already had completed manuscripts when we started working together, so I really have four critique partners with completed books, but somehow, it's more exciting when you were there before the book was finished.) I am trying hard not to let this give me an inferiority complex. After all, I did start my book after they started their completed ones. But then there's Erica, who seems to write a complete manuscript every three months or so! I've been working on mine for nine months now.

It really is my baby, LOL!

The good news is I think I got over the hump with the scene I was having so much trouble with. It's going to need quite a bit of beefing up in revision, since right now it's basically "talking heads", but I was able to write a little over three pages yesterday (almost entirely dialogue) and I see the light at the end of the tunnel. Whew!

So, congratulations again to Darcy! Way to go, girl. You rock!

2 comments:

lacey kaye said...

I love talking heads!! My FAVORITE method of getting it onto the page. Everything else can come later. And your talking heads are great, too :-) When you have very little besides dialogue, I think it really helps to get the nuances of voice and conversation down. I mean stronger. It helps develop your dialogue because that's what's carrying the scene, that's what's identifying the speaker, etc. A cookie for Jacq trying new things!

Jackie Barbosa said...

No, Leigh, no racing! You're sure to win. I'm still debating whether or not to cut some action from the story or not to get to The End faster, but any way you slice it, I'm between two chapters and an epilogue and four chapters and an epilogue from The End. And one of those chapters includes "The Love Scene!" So no way am I going to beat you if you're five scenes from the end!

But, I'm writing. Making progress. Which is good. I'm going to get there, I promise!