Friday, December 01, 2006

The Saga Continues

Since I posted on Wednesday about the lump and freaked ya'll out (well, Lacey anyway, apparently!), I thought I'd better post an update since I've had my mammogram and ultrasound.

The mammogram (aka "mashogram") on Thursday was uneventful. I didn't talk to the radiologist afterwards, just was told to have my ultrasound the following day, which told me they saw something. (I looked at the films myself on the off chance I could understand them. I mean, I did once read my oldest son's x-rays and knew instantly that his arm was broken! But it all looked like...I don't know...tissue to me!)

This morning, I had the ultrasound and, again, it all looks on the monitor like tissue to me. (Not like a cute, waving little peanut/baby, which is my only other experience with ultrasounds. At least breast ultrasounds don't require the Chinese Water Torture experience.) The radiologist reviewed the films and then did her own scan. She said the mass was "very non-specific", which I could certainly agree with, since everything on the screen looked pretty non-specific to me.

Her guess is that it's an inflamed milk duct and when I told her I'd only quit nursing at the beginning of the year, she thought that made the explanation even more reasonable. But, she said, while it didn't "look like cancer", it didn't look like for sure "NOT cancer", so she wanted to do a needle biopsy just to be sure.

The good news is the needle thing, while looking scarier than hell, didn't hurt at all after I was anesthetized. It does make a rather startling snapping sound when they take the tissue sample, though, that makes you think it hurts even when you don't feel it.

So now I'll all patched up with steristrips and tape and an ice pack. So far, it actually itches more than it hurts, though it's a bit tender, I'll admit.

Of course, no writing has been accomplished thus far today and the rest of the day isn't looking much better. I've got to get all the awards ready for tonight's cub scout Pack meeting plus help my son put a casserole together (it's a potluck) and then actually go to the meeting. See what I mean about life.

Results of biopsy expected by Wednesday. I'll keep you posted!

6 comments:

lacey kaye said...

It sounds scarier than hell to me! I'm so glad they didn't wheel you away to emergency. Of course, I know my imagination is running away with me again...That's what we writers are good at, right? ;-)

This just makes it even more important that we meet, though! I don't want to ever have my best friend's final memory of me be, "Well, she wrote a damn good email."

Jackie Barbosa said...

Aw, Lacey, your imagination IS running away with you! It truly wasn't that scary. They actually weren't in a great tearing rush to do the biopsy, actually. It was just that this they COULD do it then, I didn't want to be bothered to go back again to have it done. The hour and a half round-trip commute to that office is murder!

Anyway, perhaps I'm taking this all in stride because I've already died once and managed to survive it *g.

As for meeting, pick the dates and let's do our CP retreat!

LauraT said...

Hi Jaqueline!

You did get a ton of writing done today... that post in itself was so compelling that I read it 2 times.

another thing THANK you for blogging about it. It is something that needs to be talked about.. to know that mamograms are important, can be done, and well.. it's empowering.

Anyway... I am sending good wishes your way!!

Beverley Kendall said...

Hey Jacqueline,

I just wrote a whole blurb and then realized it didn't post. I'm so mad.

I'm so happy to hear it's not cancer. Thank goodness. Christmas came early this year. :)

I love your write-o-meter. Where can I snag one of those? Now that Nano is finished I'd love one.

Your kids are adorable.

Happy Holidays!!! Pop by and visit.

Bev

Ann Aguirre said...

Glad you got it checked out right away and I hope your boobie feels better soon.

Sarah Palmero said...

I missed the beginning of the saga. I also had a lumpectomy when I was 16, so I know alll about boob panic.

I am sending you all good thoughts that it's just some tissue having a pre-holiday party and that it settles down.