Monday, December 04, 2006

Thank God, It's Monday!

Okay, I know that's not a popular sentiment. But I love Mondays. Much more than Fridays, in fact.

I particularly love the Monday when my former housekeeper comes back to work for me after a six month hiatus. I could never bring myself to hire someone else to clean for me because she knew us so well and did such a wonderful job, but I simply couldn't keep up myself. And I knew once her new baby got a bit older, she'd want to come back, so I couldn't bear to fire someone else to hire her back.

Anyway, six months of dust and grime has been lifted from my shoulders, and it might as well be the weight of the world.

Obviously, I haven't had any word yet on the biopsy, but I want to thank those of you who dropped by and left me comments and well-wishes. I haven't heard from Beverley or Laura since FanLit, so it was sweet of them to stop by. (Beverley, if you want to use the wordcounter I use, you can find instructions at http://www.writertopia.com/toolbox/meters. It's so easy, it's scary!)

The most painful part of the whole experience turned out to be untaping myself. The medical tape actually pulled off the top layer of my skin in spots. Ouch! The small puncture from the needle turned out to be nothing by comparison. Well, except for the time when my 4yo decided to dive on me and stick his elbow right there!

Meanwhile, I continue to make slow (painfully, inexorably slow) progress towards the end of Living In Sin. Today I may exceed 1,000 words, but I typically don't get out much more than 500 and some days, it's less than that. But something is something.

I know at this point I won't be done when I reach 510 pages. I'll be lucky to finish at 525 pages! But I'm not changing the word meters any more. I'll just overshoot them and when I'm done, I can be 110% finished instead of 100% finished. (That's got to be better, right?)

4 comments:

Ann Aguirre said...

I don't know how you have stayed this close to done yet not done for so long. I get compulsive when I reach the home stretch. My family knows to leave me alone and order takeout if I'm within 3 chapters of completing a novel.

Jackie Barbosa said...

As I told my CPs, Darcy and Lacey, this morning, I honestly think I'm subsconciously resisting finishing. Which makes no sense, I'm sure, but I suspect it's something to do with not wanting to let the characters go just yet (as I mentioned in my blog a couple of days ago). I'm stretching out the ending to enjoy it more, perhaps.

At any rate, I'm sure I will finish. Eventually. When I'm good and ready to say good-bye and watch my hero and heroine walk off into the sunset.

I wish I could just sprint to the finish like you, though. It just doesn't seem, at this point, to be my m.o.

Ann Aguirre said...

I can only say this:

gsawd

(my nospam word)

Pam Skochinski said...

It is hard to type THE END sometimes. . . I usually sprint to the end, then go back and tinker, tinker, tinker, tinker. . . until I'm in danger of ruining it -- did that to a query letter not long ago, thank goodness I had the previous version saved.

Glad you are feeling better, still keeping you in our positive thoughts as you wait for your results.