Wednesday, March 07, 2007

Black Moments and Resolution

Before I jump into the meat of today's post, I have a few random comments and observations to make.
  1. Erica has finished the first draft of Trevor and the Tooth Fairy! I stand in awe. Not only did she complete this book in the amount of time it takes me to write a chapter (okay, not quite that much faster, but close), but it is just an amazing, incredibly special story. Funny, sexy, smart, and unbelievably original. If you don't see it on a bookshelf someday soon, I'll eat my words (and I have a lot of them to eat!).
  2. I'm getting ready to submit Carnally Ever After to Cobblestone Press's TrystTM line. I asked my CPs to take a look at my cover letter, but other than that, it's set to go. It should hit cyberspace today or tomorrow. They say their response time is less than 45 days, so we'll see how it goes.
  3. I have discovered chat. Chat is like crack. Chat can suck three hours out of your day before you even realize it's gone. I should stay away from chat. Alas, I cannot. My name is Jacqueline and I am a Chataholic...

So yesterday I said I would talk today about Black Moments and their resolution because I think getting these two elements "right" is one of the hardest things about writing a romance novel.

I had an epiphany about what makes a good Black Moment/resolution when I started thinking about the ending of A Scandalous Liaison as I prepared for my third (and Lord knows, I hope) final pass. The Black Moment itself is good. The hero and heroine agree that they simply can't be together if their marrying means she'll lose her estate. Based on their character arcs and internal conflicts, this is completely believable. It seems like the right and logical choice to them, even though I hope my readers see it's the wrong one!

But the way the story originally worked out, it actually seemed like this decision was the right one. And the whole point of a Black Moment is that decision has to be the wrong one. The resolution has to occur because the characters resolve their conflicts and realize they made the wrong choice in the Black Moment.

In the current version of the ending, the heroine's brother (who can seize her estate and refuse to pay her dowry if she marries without his consent) changes his mind regarding his consent to their marriage too quickly and easily. The heroine still has to go and rescue the hero from the nasty, evil bad guy, but she doesn't have to realize that her estate doesn't matter a hill of beans to her compared to her love for her man! Nor does the hero have to realize that in trying to protect her from one loss, he's forcing another, greater one on her. And that's just wrong!

To fix this, in the final version, my heroine's brother has to be a dick for a bit longer (although he's really not being a dick, but trying to protect her from what he perceives as her worst fear--marriage to a fortune hunter who doesn't really love her). It'll all work out in the end, of course, but she and the hero will both have to overcome their internal conflicts without a deus ex machina solving their problems for them. And that will make the story much more emotionally satisfying.

7 comments:

lacey kaye said...

This, people, is why you sign up for things like Year of Craft! Excellent AHA moments to be found within. Just mix with your own ingenuity and pour!

I have to say, I love this post. I love your change to your BM and your resolution. And I love your new title so much I actually thought you'd just finished a published book and had suddenly had an ephiphany. You rock this town, woman!

Ann Aguirre said...

Huh, I guess I don't know what historical titles sell because I disagree with the contest judges. I liked Living in Sin just fine.

Jackie Barbosa said...

Glad you liked the post, Lacey. And what I'm doing to the ending.

Annie, thanks for saying you like the title. The truth is, though, it didn't fit the story very well any more. Once upon a time, it did, but then my hero refused to sleep with my heroine without the benefit of marriage (and he was very adamant about that!) and so, they weren't really living in sin any more, anyway!

Jody W. and Meankitty said...

How long is that carnal story? Just read somewhere Spice is opening a short fiction line...

Jackie Barbosa said...

Hey Jody!

Funny you should mention the new Spice line, as one of my CPs just emailed me information on it.

CEA is just shy of 15,000 words and I'm sending it off to Cobblestone Press today. I'm not sure from what I read about the new Spice line that it will "fit" there--I sort of get the impression they're looking more for contemporary and possibly paranormal stories. But it may be another possibility, that's for sure!

Erica Ridley said...

I'll plug YOC too. Although I'm on the opposite coast, I took a chance and I'm glad I did. The workshops gave me some great ah-ha moments for TATTF. Speaking of which, I better quit blog-hopping and start the dreaded Revision Process...

Pam Skochinski said...

Jacqueline -- could you pass on the SPICE info. . . I'm working on a story that MIGHT fit. . .then again, might not. . . sigh.

I think I need to go over and read Erica's pep talk again.