Friday, March 02, 2007

Five Years Ago Today...

...my youngest son was born. I'm still a little shell-shocked to discover he's five already.

Of course, this means my day has been occupied not merely with my day job, but with getting ready for the big birthday bash tomorrow. I lucked out and finished my class before one o'clock and so was able to do a bit of party-related shopping on the way home, which means that's a bit of shopping/preparation I won't have to do tomorrow. But there is still oh-so-much to be accomplished before I can have a gaggle of small children here for three hours.

This kid's birthday always makes me feel particularly blessed, though. When he was seventeen months old, I came very close to dying as the result of a severe asthma attack. So every birthday of his I see feels like a huge victory. I might well not have lived long enough to have a real conversation with him, let alone see him go to kindergarten.

And so, in the spirit of giving thanks for what we have, I ask: what makes you feel especially lucky or blessed?

3 comments:

lacey kaye said...

Lucky? Hm...My family is great. Every day I could think of a new thing I like about them (or at least, an old thing I still like about them). Thanks, people! You make life fun.

Unknown said...

I'll echo Lacey. My family means everything to me. When my oldest daughter was four months old she almost died. She herself is having a baby now, and that's a miracle in itself.

Pam Skochinski said...

I've been losing a bit of my dad each and every day to Altzheimers. It reminds me to treasure every moment -- we never know when it will be taken from us through death or disease.

Happy, happy birthday to your son!