Friday, March 30, 2007

Burning Down the House

No, this is not an accidental Lyric Thursday post featuring the famous Talking Heads song. I actually almost did burn down the house earlier this afternoon. I put a pot of beans on the stove to boil and forgot about them. You know what happens next! I was just lucky that the smoke became apparent before I left to pick the kids up from school.

Sigh.

I'm too busy. Busier than any absent-minded, disorganized person should ever allow herself to become. I'm going to have to ramp down a bit. More paying work, a little less writing work (not that there's been much of either lately). More family, less writing. More down time, less writing.

The question for today: How do you maintain balance? Or do you?

5 comments:

Ericka Scott said...

Balance???? Can you say multi-task three times fast?

For me, I've had sick kids on and off for the last three weeks. All I know is I want LESS family and more writing. . . give me romance over snotty noses, runny poop, and vomiting coughs! Argh!

Anonymous said...

From a writer who watched all nine of her children grow up and eight of them move out - the best thing to do is live life.

My mentor way back in the day told me plainly - life is not a dress rehearsal.

At first I didn't understand what he meant, but then, as my youngest were wanting me to take them hither and yon, and with a husband in the military, I realized not only what I was missing, but how much I had missed.

Thankfully, I learned early.

Regards,

T.J.

Jody W. and Meankitty said...

Balance, I cannot do. BUT I do have a tip for things on the stove.... Always set a timer! I learned this the hard way when #1 was an infant and I put her v. expensive "no nipple confusion or colic!" bottle nipples on the stove to sterilize and melted them all, plus ruined my favorite pot. So now when I put anything on the stove, I set the timer, which forces me to get up and go stop the beeping.

This does not work, obviously, if you leave the house....

Jackie Barbosa said...

Sorry to hear your kids have had the icky-sickies, Ericka/Pam. That is never nice.

T.J., I absolutely agree 100%. Life is always what it is now, not what you think it will be in the future. My struggle lately is life now is too many balls in the air and I'm dropping them. I either have to reduce the number of balls or resign myself to tripping over the ones I can't catch. So I'm thinking fewer balls is the way to go!

And Jody, the timer is a great idea. I do that--when I remember. But I'm truly about as absent-minded as a person can get, so I don't reliably do that, either. I sympathize on the bottle-nipple melting incident. I've had a few of those myself. See, I never learn!

lacey kaye said...

A couple of people have told me they can feel my stress through my blog. So I'm going to try to blog on Happy Topics only!

Because I really can't seem to make it all go away just yet...