Monday, June 04, 2007

It's a Done Deal!

I just signed and sent off my very first contract with a publisher. And now I'm ready to squeal like a demented pig about it :->!

Some of you may remember that I wrote a short novella (a little under 15,000 words), titled Carnally Ever After, back in January/February of this year. It was originally intended for the Ellora's Cave Naughty Nuptials series (and I have to thank Annie Dean for having given me the idea to write it in the first place!). Ellora's Cave turned it down, however, leaving me with a story I thought was pretty darned good, but didn't know what to do with. I toyed with trying to expand it to true novella length (say, 30K words), but ultimately decided it wasn't worth the effort. The story really felt complete to me as it was written, and I couldn't imagine what I could add that would improve it. So, I sent it to Harlequin's Spice Brief's line back in April, but decided not to send it anywhere else until I heard anything.

But after two months, I got antsy. To make a long story short, I decided to send the manuscript to Cobblestone Press, which I knew has a line for manuscripts of exactly this length. I'd heard good things about Cobblestone from various people and had good experiences with stories I've bought there (Ericka Scott's Crystal Clear, for example).

I clicked send on the submission early last Thursday morning and sat back to wait the 45-60 days for a response. I'm sure you can imagine how I felt when I got a response from Deanna Lee less than 8 hours later. Especially when I opened it and realized it wasn't because there was a problem with the file or the format was all wrong or anything like that, but an almost-offer. Change one small thing and we'll make you a contract offer.

I was gobsmacked. I looked at the manuscript and saw that only about three sentences were affected. I made the change and sent the revised version back to Deanna that evening. By Friday night, I had a contract in my inbox.

Of course, I didn't want to look too easy, so I read the contract carefully over the weekend and did a little homework, contacting some of the authors I know who publish with Cobblestone to pick their brains about their experiences. (Thanks to Ericka, Sara Dennis, and Cora Zane, who all offered incredibly helpful insights!)

In the middle of writing this blog, I got a phone call from Deanna and we chatted for quite a while. Turns out she's hoping to have Carnally Ever After released in August (how's that for light speed?), she already has a cover artist in mind for me, and she's assigning me to an editor. Whee!

Because I want to keep the Jacqueline Barbour name for my full-length historicals (which I hope will someday make it to print!), we agreed I'll be using a different pen name for my Cobblestone release (and hopefully releases; I do have a few more ideas!). At Darcy's suggestion, I've settled on Jackie Barbosa (a little pirate-y and very fun, I think). Among the many other things I'll have to do leading up to the release is to set up a new website in that name. (But I'm only going to blog here! Well, and at the Manuscript Mavens when we get that up and running. Soon!)

Oh, did I mention my birthday is Wednesday? This is easily the best birthday present I've ever gotten. A few days early, but who am I to quibble?

22 comments:

lacey kaye said...

Best birthday EVER!!! We're so proud of you, Jacq. SO proud. It's the excitingest thing waa ha ha ha ha!

Beverley Kendall said...

Super Congrats on your deal with Cobblestone Press and well deserved I might add. Happy Birthday a couple of days early too!!!! Squeeeee!!!! What wonderful news.

Darcy Burke said...

Yeah, best birthday ever!!! I'm so tickled for you. Over the moon. Moving up... :-)

Unknown said...

Terrific! I was cruising Cobblestone just the other day...lots of good stuff there, and now they're going to be even better!

Ericka Scott said...

SQEEEEEEEE!!!

Erica Ridley said...

Yay!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

CEA rocks the house!!!

caramaena said...

wow fantastic news!! Congrats and happy early birthday :)

Anonymous said...

Only for a Maven would I come out of major lurking to say congratulations. Happy Birthday!

Tessa Dare said...

That's soooooo exciting! Congratulations! Let us know as soon as you've got a release date!

Jody W. and Meankitty said...

Awesome! I've been wanting to read that story since you mentioned you were writing it. Now I can buy it...in August, apparently!

Lady Leigh said...

WOOOOHOOOOO!!!!! I am soooo super excited for you! It is a great story and I'm sure your readers will love it and demand more ;-)

Happy Birthday!

Jackie Barbosa said...

Thanks to everyone for the congratulations! I'm still a little shell-shocked, I think. Very happy and very excited, but shell-shocked.

Courtney Milan said...

Oh, Jacqueline! Or should I say Jackie--

Congratulations! Yay!

lacey kaye said...

JANICE SPEAKS!!! Omg, I was starting to think she didn't really exist...

We should call her the Silent Maven. :-)

Stacia said...

Just popped over to say Congratulations!

Anonymous said...

Congratulations and much success.

T.J.

lainey bancroft said...

Woo Hoo Jacqueline/Jacq/Jackie!

(so, um, how many people does this actually make you now?)

MEGA CONGRATS!!

and HAPPY BIRTHDAY (cuz this is Wednesday, and y'all know I'm forever turning up late to the parties)

skirbo said...

OMG, OMG, OMG!!!! Squeeeee!!!!!!! How fantastic is that!!??! I'm so pleased for you.

Congrats!
Sarah

Anonymous said...

Congratulations! This is great news! (I'll have to check in on your more often.)

Sarah Palmero said...

Belated public congratulations, a repeat of my private congratulations. I think Jackie Barbosa is a great name.

:)

Chris said...

How wonderful super-de-dooper a la Peter de... Oh wait. You don't want Seuss... How about *YAHOO*!

I am so hugely excited to see everyone start to make their first steps into professional writerhood...

Congratulations, and *well* deserved. Can't wait to read it.

Anonymous said...

I knew it when I squeeed the first time! I just knew you got The Call. Sqeeeeee again!

Alice