Friday, June 15, 2007

School's Out for Summer

But not forever.

And I can't decide whether that's a good thing or a bad thing.

You see, every time summer break rolls around, I vacillate between whether I'm sorry school's over or glad.

The pros of school are pretty obvious:
  1. The kids are out of the house for almost six hours every weekday, which gives me plenty of time to work and write without interruption.
  2. It's public school, so it's effectively six hours of free children-out-of-my hair time.

But list of cons, to me, seems much longer:

  1. Homework. (They start giving homework around here in kindergarten. Wait, no, in preschool. It's madness.)
  2. The school's schedule runs our lives. Everything, from the time we get out of bed in the morning to the time we go to bed at night, is driven by when the children must either arrive at or be picked up from school. (Have I mentioned before that I hate schedules?)
  3. Homework.
  4. There is always just enough time after school for the kids to fight with each other and or whine about being bored, but never enough time to do anything really fun or meaningful.
  5. Homework.

So, at least for now, there's no homework and the schedule is nice and loose, just the way I like it. The downside is that I have three kids here to pester me pretty much all day, every day.

And, today, they're all sitting around moping because there's no one to play with but each other. Everyone seems either to have gone away on vacation already or to be busy today.

Will I be happy or sad when school starts again in August? Probably a little of both, just like I am now.

3 comments:

lacey kaye said...

Good luck!

Erica Ridley said...

So... Are you saying you don't like homework?

Ericka Scott said...

I know what you mean. I was just mentioning to Mr. Scott last night that every evening seems like a Friday anymore since there is no homework to nag our teenager about.

But, boy, is it tough having 3 kids home all day long. I'm just glad Mr. Scott is a caring and wonderful man and bought me babysitting for my birthday.

Occasionally, I feel a little guilty about it. I'm leaving my precious little ones and going out on my own. But. . . they get a much happier and refreshed Mommy when I return.

Hope you have a short and sweet summer!