Wednesday, June 20, 2007

Your Editor Is Your Best Friend

Lacey has a great blog post up today about crits, both giving and receiving. Her musings inspired me to write a little about taking criticism once you've actually sold your book and have an editor critiquing your work.

Now, Cobblestone has a policy of doing three edit rounds on all their publications. Which, if you ask me, is great. I don't want my story to be published with some totally goofball error in it that could have easily been corrected if it had been properly corrected. And I've only just finished the first round of edits on Carnally Ever After, so my experience with the whole process is (so far) fairly limited.

Now, you have to understand that I'd been warned by both Ericka Scott and Deanna Lee that at least one author has compared Cobblestone's editing process to an anal probe. (Aside: I wonder how many weird hits that's going to produce from Google searches?) So I was more than a trifle anxious about what I was going to find when I got my first round of edits. What would my editor find wrong with my story? What if she wanted me to change major plot points or characterization? What if she wanted me to add or remove scenes? Worst of all, what if she hated it?

You'd think the fact that Cobblestone wanted the book in the first place would be enough to give me confidence in my abilities as a writer and in my story's charm and wonderfulness, but somehow, the thought of putting myself in the hands of yet another critiquer turned my knees to jelly.

When the file showed up in my inbox on Saturday night, I studiously ignored it. I just wasn't ready to burst the bubble of happiness I'd been floating on since I sold the story with whatever I was going to find in red inside that document. I told myself I'd wait until Monday and then tackle it like it was my job, not my heart.

Which was really not the brightest idea I've ever had. Because instead of sleeping Saturday night, I tossed and turned and worried over what was in that file. (Have I ever mentioned that I am a terrible control freak and an inveterate worrier? I can drive myself insane over the stupidest little things. I once tossed and turned all night because I forgot to put a bill in the mail the previous day. And it wasn't even due yet. Talk about stupid!)

But I digress. (Isn't that what blogs are for?)

So, bleary-eyed from lack of sleep, I got up on Sunday morning and opened the email. To my pleased surprise, the cover letter said my editor thought Carnally Ever After was a great story (with an exclamation point, no less) and that she found one scene in particular worthy of an ROFL.

Hmmmm, that didn't sound too bad.

Cautiously optimistic, I opened the attached file. And yes, it was covered in red marks. Clauses and sentences reorganized. Phrases added or deleted. And the occasional story or word use question (e.g., "Why does the hero think that?" "What's a fall?"). But by and large, the changes my editor suggested were line edits for clarity that I almost universally agreed with. There were a few things I quibbled over or suggested revising in a different way and I also took the opportunity to make a few changes she didn't suggest. Still, nothing scary or terrible. Certainly nothing I could equate to an anal probe, LOL! (The Mavens are way harder on me. But then, maybe that's why there weren't many issues!)

I sent the file back to her early Monday and haven't seen the second round of edits yet. Which means I know the harder edit may be yet to come. Maybe she just wanted to get the small stuff out of the way in the first go-round and address the larger issues in a later edit. All of which means I'm still a little nervous about round two.

All of that said, I know my editor is my best friend when it comes to putting out a story I'll be proud of when it goes to print. So even if the next round of crits is more...well, critical, I hope I can be "big" enough to take them as they're intended--as helpful suggestions to make my book better. Because once she's done with it, there's no going back and fixing the problems. Every little error will be out there for the world to see (and complain about)!

The moral of this little story is that, no matter how hard it is to accept criticism of your work, you're never really finished receiving it. First, you get it from critique partners or contest judges. Then, if you're lucky enough to sell it, you get it from your editor. And finally, you'll get it from your readers, some of whom will probably not luuuuuurve your story as much as you know it deserves to be loved. But that's another blog :->!

Today's question: Have you ever been afraid to look at a critique? Ever get one that was especially good or especially bad? Don't be afraid to share!

11 comments:

Unknown said...

I'm writing on the wrong post---but your cover! Holy cow, it's GREAT! Glad things are going well in the editing process, and congrats on the new MM blog. I've already linked to you. :)

Kelly Krysten said...

I'm always afraid of my crits. I suppose it gets easier over time but since I'm newer to this I'm thinking I'm not nearly to the healthy-relationship-with-crits group.
Oh, and congrats on carnally yours, Jacquie!

Kelly Krysten said...

Oh, crum! I really screwed up your title! I meant...Carnally Ever After...

Jackie Barbosa said...

LOL, Kelly. You know, Carnally Yours is a GREAT title. Maybe I should change the series titles from "Ever After" titles to "Carnally" titles. It's worth consideration.

I have to say, it has taken me a while to get to a healthy relationship with my critiques, and I'm afraid it's going to take even longer for me to get to a healthy relationship with my reviews when that day comes (and it's sooner than I'm probably ready for, LOL!).

And Maggie, I'm thrilled you (and everyone else) seems to like the cover as much as I do. Also, thanks for linking up the Mavens. We'll try to keep you from getting bored over the summer when the other blogs go dark :->!

lacey kaye said...

it's a fabulous cover with totally unworrisome crits. 'covered in red' is really overdoing it, I think! but then, we used to be the Red Pen Posse. So....

Jackie Barbosa said...

Now, Lacey, there were a few pretty "red" pages (during "those" scenes, as you so helpfully pointed out :->).

But yeah, they were all pretty minor and, as I just got the second round edits, went over them, and sent them back, I can say that the second round wasn't worse!

But I am so glad to have an editor! So helpful!

Ericka Scott said...

My edits on Crystal Clear were so much harder than the ones that I just finished for Postcards from the Dead. . .hopefully it's because I learned a bit from the first set!

Glad everything is moving quickly for Carnally! I'm soooo excited for you!

Darcy Burke said...

And now we know the second round was even better than the first! Definitely due to the Maven Crit Process (MCP - we'll be trademarking that). As for crits that make us cringe...Jacq just sent four chapters of my ms with really useful, awesome crits that will require a lot of smoothing. Damn you Jacquelinnnnnnnnne!

Jackie Barbosa said...

Darcy's right, Ericka--I'm sure it's the MCP that made the edit process for CEA go so smoothly. They really hammered me when I was writing it to make it great.

I have to give a special shout-out to Leigh, though. She was the one who suggested the heroine, Louisa, needed a bit more depth and a hobby--other than just shagging (or planning to shag ;->) the hero, LOL--and she was so right. And I'm pretty sure it was Darcy who suggested she should have a fascination with "horrid" novels. The story is 100 times better as a result of those two suggestions, although everyone else's crits were invaluable as well!

Jody W. and Meankitty said...

I'm not scared of crits. People are scared of MY crits :).

*heh*

I have had a mixed experience with official editorial crits and an overwhelmingly positive experience with crit partner crits. My big sticky is incorrectly correcting my grammar and punctuation, and as long as people don't do that, I'll consider just about anything else they think would improve a manuscript.

That is, incidentally, an awesome cover. I know the model is a dead ringer for the author...it's so obvious!

Erica Ridley said...

As far as good as in feel-good goes, I did get an almost fan-lettery response one time from a beta reader. It was AWESOME. I love her for loving my story!

As far as good inso far as constructive goes, I get those every day from the Mavens (well, every day I actually send something out, that is) and from my two real-life CPs Kel and 'manda when we get together. Diana P also gave my partial some great crit action. And... now that I'm thinking about it, I've gotten a lot of great crits! I better stop naming names now, or I'm bound to leave someone out who'll get their feelings hurt. Suffice it to say that I welcome praise AND constructive brutality. Both are good!