Friday, May 11, 2007

Drive-By Blogging

Sort of literally. I'm between dropping my oldest son off at piano lessons and picking him up fifteen minutes from now. But I gotta shoehorn it in because, darn it, I blog on Monday, Wednesday, and Friday with Lyric Thursday as a bonus, and if I miss a scheduled day...well, let's just say I don't like to miss them, okay?

But if I'm so overwhelmed, as I said in Wednesday's little descent into Maudlinville, how come I put pressure on myself to blog three times a week? I mean, that schedule is completely self-imposed; it's not like ya'll are out there begging me, "Please, Jacqueline, post or we will wither and die without your wisdom." As if!

Several of you noted in the comments on Wednesday's post that blogging probably increases the pressure on us all because we feel the need to use our blogs as a way to get our names out there, promote ourselves, etc. And while I originally started this blog with those goals in mind, the truth is, I blog almost entirely for its own sake.

I find the interaction comforting. It's nice to share my thoughts and feelings with all of you, especially when you share yours back. I also find I can often talk myself through problems in a blog post in a way I otherwise can't, even in email with my friends and critique partners. Many times, when I'm struggling with something (as I was on Wednesday), your comments provide me with validation that I'm not just some loony suffering this stuff alone. And someday, I'm sure I'll look back on all these blog posts as a very special diary of a certain period in my life that I'd otherwise never have captured.

Above all else, however, I don't kid myself that this blog is some vehicle to launch my stardom. I know who most of my readers are and it's a pretty select group: my CPs, a core group of FanLitters, and a few other writers I've had the privilege to meet through other blogs. This is a fun way to keep in touch with all of you all, but it's not making me famous! And that's okay. For now, it's all it needs to be.

Today's question: If you blog, why do you blog? If you don't, why not?

10 comments:

Darcy Burke said...

Well, you know why I don't blog! For the reason you kind of state: I don't have time! I would love to blog, but I'm afraid I would never, ever stick to doing it on xyz days because no one else is telling me to. Now, of course I'm committeed to our group blog and the day I am assigned, because I am assigned and it's more than just me. (Those of you asking where our group blog is - stay tuned, the Mavens are coming!)

I do get what you're saying though. More and more I have ideas for blog posts and I keep thinking, "my website is in Wordpress, I could so easily just start posting to it!" But I don't. Aside from the time, I'm a little afraid of putting myself out there so much. I have a tendency to *really* put myself out there, I'm the OUT in outgoing, really. ;-)And well, sometimes a little mystery goes a long way. Or so I kid myself.

I'm just glad my friends have blogs so I can share tiny pieces but still maintain the aura of mystique. Shyeah right!
Darc

Anonymous said...

I'm like you, Jacqueline. I started out to promote myself, but ended up for the fun of it. I did both my web page and blog specifically for the Avon FanLit contest. Back then I ony had one person dropping by, and only because she was mentoring me on the blogosphere. Now people sometimes even leave comments. :D

Alice

Kelly Krysten said...

hmmmm...I blog because I'm incredibly vain and assume everyone wants to hear me speak(or type, as the case may be).lol. No, not really. I think I blog because it's fun and I've met some cool new people through it. Also it's fun to put up topics and see how others relate to it. ALthough, I must mention I never EVER would have started a blog if TessaD hadn't suggested it. Send your thank you e-mails to her...

Ericka Scott said...

I blog to keep in touch with everyone and to share this scary, exhilarating, ego-busting roller-coaster ride to publication.

I'm glad to know I'm not going it alone.

Unknown said...

I kind of made a pact with myself that I'd finish the book I had been working on forever, so I started a blog (after holding off for a good long while) and said so in writing. Publicly (such as it was; I think about 5 people read the post).And I just fixed the plot problem the other day so now I think the book really IS finished.

I use my blog to relate writing with the odd things I've either experienced or seen, kind of mixing up personal stuff with professional. It's made me connect to a whole group of great people who generously share their thoughts. It's a short format (rarely over 500 words) and MAKES me write even when I don't feel like it. I've made it easy for myself cause I only do it Saturdays for sure, but can post more often if something earth-shattering occurs to me.

My poor husband said the other day after reading one of the posts, "Gee, honey, you make our life seem so interesting." See, I AM a successful fiction writer!!!

lacey kaye said...

LOL, Maggie!

I blog because it's what all the cool kids are doing. Actually, I blog for two reasons. One is, as Jacq said, to keep a diary of my path to publication. The other is because it's a convenient way for me to keep everyone in touch. My family reads my blogs (even my gramma, who apparently doesn't always approve of my word choices!) and so do people at work. So do a few non-romance writing friends, like Sara. It saves just a little bit of time for me to have everyone reading about me instead of me having to talk to them, or write them individual emails.

In fact, one of the reasons I started writing in the first place is because I used to sit around composing VERY long, detailed rambles i.e. emails to everyone I know, usually in a distribution-list format. My boyfriend's dad and others commented that I write engaging emails. So now I write books, and the emails have turned into blogs. And they're still long and rambling...much like this comment!

Beverley Kendall said...

I blog to keep in touch with other writers. I blog because it's like a diary for my writing. I blog to inspire myself.

Erica Ridley said...

I blog because I lurve adding things to my overwhelming to-do list. (I'm being facetious, but it wouldn't surprise me to learn I have some twisted psychological addiction to overextending myself.) Oh, and 'cause I live to procrastinate. =)

I'm all about the interaction at this point. No sense worrying about potential stardom before the contract, right? (Although it'd be a welcome bonus, let's be frank *g)

Tessa Dare said...

I blog because it keeps me on track. I like to think that there are a handful of people out there who are watching my progress toward that ultimate goal of publication. If I up and quit, I'll feel like I've let them down. Writing and submitting are tough, and I need as much accountability as I can get.

Plus, it's just fun! And informative. I learn so much from my fellow writers.

Jody W. and Meankitty said...

I *have* a blog I use for career news since it's easier to update than my site's "What's New?" area. I'm not much of one for public philosophizing, so when I blogged more frequently, it was snarky & anecdotal. I've convinced myself overpersonalization is a bad idea for a "professional" blog. Plus, more guilt because I'm a slacker.

Now my cat has a blog I try to update 1x-2x a week, but I don't worry about "professionalism" there :)