Wednesday, May 23, 2007

Non-Writing Writer = Bitch

I'm sure you weren't expecting a Wednesday post from me, but you're getting one anyway. Verra late, to be sure, and likely short, but it's a post anyway.

You might remember a few weeks ago, I was angsting over the time I spend writing and feeling guilty about the time and money I "waste" on this pursuit. Well, this week, I've done next to no writing at all. I managed to finish up a scene on Monday afternoon (roughly 500 words of which I wrote that day) and since then, I've managed a sum total of eight sentences.

And you know what?

I am a complete and TOTAL bitch. Not only am I just plain tired (the class that I'm teaching this week is very heavy on lecture and instructor-led discussion and light on student practice, so I don't get much time "off-stage"), but I am pissier than hell because I haven't been able to write.

The bad news, of course, is that I'm a cranky, exhausted wreck. But the good news is, I feel so much more sanguine about all the time I normally devote to writing. When I don't, I'm a far worse mess than I am when I do.

'Nuff said.

P.S. Lyric Thursday will occur as scheduled. I have another Barenaked Ladies song to share. This one has sparked a story idea for me, which may not seem unusual to a lot of you, but what makes it unusual for me is that the idea is definitely in the paranormal realm, and we all know I normally don't do paranormal.

6 comments:

lacey kaye said...

Write on!!

Plus, we miss you. Will you make Chat tomorrow?

Erica Ridley said...

I feel so much more sanguine about all the time I normally devote to writing. When I don't, I'm a far worse mess than I am when I do.

I hear ya! Maybe my non-writing is what threw off my schedule/life/etc these past few weeks!

Also can't wait to hear about your paranormal idea... Is it para-contemp or para-historical??

lainey bancroft said...

See, we really ARE twins separated at birth! I could have written this.

Ditto on the beating myself up when I'm at the computer for not accomplishing a task with a tangible result, cuz oddly enough I'm an obnoxiously results oriented person.

Ditto on turning into a monster bitch when I don't have my imaginary world to hide in and my imaginary friends to speak through.

So I have written off my writing time as cheap therapy =) It is $100 I DIDN'T actually spend laying on a shrinks couch whining. Money in the bank, baby.

(hey, my word verification is: urhis. weird)

Jackie Barbosa said...

Erica asked: Is it para-contemp or para-historical??

Er, both. You'll probably see when you read the lyrics I chose!

Lainey, I like the idea that it's cheap therapy. And I'm glad I'm not alone in this *g!

Lacey, as you already know, making chat today is not happening :-<.

Jody W. and Meankitty said...

>>I am a complete and TOTAL bitch. Not only am I just plain tired [snip] but I am pissier than hell because I haven't been able to write.

Jeez, you just described my LIFE! I need help. Srsly.

Jody W.

Ericka Scott said...

Write ON! I love paranormal and can tell you they are tons of fun to write!