Wednesday, May 30, 2007

Maybe It's Just in My DNA

I have observed before that the need to write is a strange compulsion, one that is almost impossible to explain to anyone who doesn't suffer from the same affliction. Despite the 80% or so of Americans who seem to think they could write a book, few seem to want to do so badly enough to bother. Those of us who do bother are...well...not normal.

Even if you aren't like me and don't feel compelled to do it, even if you don't turn into a complete monster bitch if you can't find the time for it, if you are actually writing a book, you are different from most of the people you know in your real life.

But while I was growing up, I didn't feel particularly different because I wanted to write the stories that careened like drunken butterflies in my head. Because, you see, I think my need to write might just be genetic.

I'm pretty sure I've mentioned on the blog that my father, who passed away in the summer of 1998, was a writer. Primarily, he wrote articles for many auto racing magazines. He often joked he was a freelance writer with the emphasis on "free." But after he retired from the Border Patrol, where he was an anti-smuggling agent, he sat down and wrote two novels based on his experiences. Two wonderful novels which, as yet, remain unpublished. One of these days, I hope to get them out in the world. And he always said that he didn't write because he wanted to, but because he HAD to.

Like me, my younger sister wrote stories (in her case, mostly fantasy/science fiction stuff) from about the moment she could construct a sentence on paper. In my immediate family, the only person who didn't display this trait was my mother, but although she didn't write fiction, she read it voraciously (and still does!).

So, growing up in a household where 3/4s of the members suffered from the same "disease," I never felt particularly odd. I sort of assumed everyone told themselves stories in bed at night to put themselves to sleep and often found themselves preoccupied by snippets of dialogue between the imaginary people who lived in their heads. I probably didn't grasp the "unusualness" of my condition until I was in high school.

It wasn't until I was in high school or college that I learned the writing compulsion goes back a good deal farther in my family than I'd previously thought, and that I had it coming to me from both sides.

Turns out that my mother's father, a minister turned Psychology professor who died in 1958, years before my birth, also wrote a novel. (Among other things, I found the announcement of his marriage to my grandmother when I googled his name. It's here.) His novel was a mystery. And he didn't quite get to the end of it. I read the manuscript when I was in my late teens, I think, and I thought I figured out how the detective had determined "whodunit" and could've written the ending, but I don't think I'd ever have mastered his voice, so I didn't try.

And my father's grandfather was also a writer, though of non-fiction. He wrote non-fiction articles for Field and Stream magazine back in the early part of the 20th century, many of which were illustrated by my famous artist great uncle, Francis Lee Jaques. (I didn't get the artist gene apparently, drat it all. When my first son was born, I dreaded the first time he asked me to draw something for him. I was right to worry!)

Now, I'm sure most writers don't have ancestors who were writers. I just find it fascinating that there's such a strong thread of writing in my family. Arguably, I write because I patterned it from my father (except that I wrote fiction long before he ever did), but I doubt he patterned it from his grandfather (his father and grandfather were somewhat estranged) and I couldn't have patterned anything from my maternal grandfather, either, since he died before I was born.

So, maybe there is something in the genes.

What about you? Why do you think you write? Do you have any writers in your family tree? And do you think your desire/need to write was learned or is innate?

8 comments:

Unknown said...

I, like you, feel I "need" to write. And the need really only came over me about four years ago, altho I was an English major and worked on newspapers/lit mags/yearbooks in school and had played around with a few things here and there. When I get discouraged and think about stopping, I wake up with a new idea. As far as I know, no close relatives were writers of any kind, although my dad wrote great letters and my mother wrote short, silly poems on birthday cards.:)

Erica Ridley said...

As far as I know, I'm the only writer in my family--evah. Then again, writers tend to keep their writerness under their hats until they gain enough self-confidence (or, yanno, a contract) to declare themselves writers publicly. Because once you out yourself (at least, this happened to me) everyone on the planet feels like they can comment on the increasing time between when you said you were a writer and when they actually see some evidence of this in the bookstore. =)

Darcy Burke said...

I learned about nine or ten years ago that my paternal grandmother was a writer. She died in 1989 when I was 18, long before I found the short story she'd written about my grandfather's search for the Big Fish or whatever she called the salmon. It's a very funny, sweet story about my grandparents (about whom I know little - my grandfather died before my dad even met my mom and I believe his death plunged my grandmother into some kind of depression for the rest of her life - she was not a friendly person) and their move to the Great Northwest. I'd NO idea my kinda mean grandma could be so witty. I'd love to get it pubbed some day. I wish I'd had a chance to know THAT grandma.

My brother likes to write. He wrote the most AMAZING sci-fi story in high school about creation and evolution. It's freaking brilliant. I'd love to see that published too. Hell, I just want to read it again! His daughter, my niece, is also interested in writing. She'll be 12 on Sunday. She and a friend have written some stories together. I hope she sticks with it. She's incredibly bright.

So, I guess, yeah, it's in the genes! I think most artistic stuff is - my husband draws very well and his mother is very gifted, as was her father. He - my husband's grandfather - should have pursued it professionally because he was THAT good. Incidentally, my husband has written most of a book and would love to finish it and write more. He also plays guitar and wants to paint and sculpt. He's an art junkie!

Darcy

Jackie Barbosa said...

Darcy, I love the story about your grandmother's story. So sad that you never got to know her as that witty person. I didn't know your brother and niece also wrote. I knew about your husband's book, though.

I discovered last night in a conversation with my oldest son (almost 10) that HE is writing a story now in his free time at school. It's about an alternate universe inside a chewing gum bubble *g. I may have passed it on.

Maggie, I know just what you mean about feeling discouraged and then having a new idea smack you upside the head.

And Erica, I think the time between your announcement and proof on the bookshelves is getting shorter. It's inevitable, in fact!

Tessa Dare said...

How great to have that whole family history of writing!

My mother has always wanted to write and had lots of ideas - and for a long time, I thought I'd just inherited the "frustrated writer" gene, because it never quite clicked for me, either.

But in the past year, we've both finished our first novels! (Hers is a mystery.) So maybe that gene just takes some time to kick in (um, I know there's a biology word for that, but I don't know what it is...)

Ericka Scott said...

No such family history for me. I'm a "first" but my family is all tickled pink that I'm "a writer".

However, storytelling comes a little more naturally. My father must have had a latent "drama king" gene. . . he'd tell a story about why he was running late, you know, how he got stopped at a traffic light. And before you know it, an elephant fell off the circus truck in front of his car and three clowns had to clean off the poop! We all took it with a grain of salt.

But, I think I learned the elements of good story telling from him. Take the ordinary and obscure and pump it up. . . a little or a lot!

Beverley Kendall said...

My dad is a pretty arts & craft type a guy so I think I get it from him. I don't just like to create stories, I sew, knit, crochet, scrapbook, do carpentry. I basically like to create everything!!!

lacey kaye said...

I think my parents would both like to write books but lack the focus to do it. I'm pretty sure ADHD is genetic...(ok, I'm not sure, but I see the same weird attention disorders in both of them that I have, so I'm just going to roll with it).

I loved everyone's stories! Erica, as usual you make me laugh. I so know about the ticking time bomb theory!