Friday, May 04, 2007

Incoherent Ramblings

I promised a post full of caffeine, alcohol, and sleep-deprivation induced ramblings, and as always, I aim to please. And so, in no particular order (because if they were in some sort of order, it wouldn't be incoherent, would it?), here are my observations for today.

  • If you forget to do your homework the night before, you can always get it done twice as fast if you wait until morning. (Bad Mommy forgot last night. The kids got their assignments done in record time before school. Bad Mommy wonders if she should be bad more often...)
  • No matter how many times you tell a nine-year-old to a) bring his shoes in from beside the trampoline, b) close the gate, and c) feed and water the cats, he will always act as if the first time he has ever heard any of these commands.
  • You can kill a story by over-analyzing it. Yes, the characters need GMC and an arc. Yes, their actions have to make some kind of sense. But people's feelings aren't always rational. And romance is an emotional genre. Sometimes, the characters feel and do things that don't seem logical. And they shouldn't have to.
  • Since I had wireless enabled on my laptop yesterday, I discovered I have access to several wireless networks in my backyard. None of them are mine. But I can connect to them. Way cool. If slightly unreliable.
  • My house is a dirty, disgusting mess. I should clean. I will clean. Someday... Maybe when I finish writing my book. Any of them.
  • Updated: As further proof of my incoherence, I had to come back and add this one. I've realized my heroes are not tortured. Pained, perhaps. A little bit twisted, maybe. But not tortured. I just don't do tortured. Methinks I see I problem...

Okay, that's all for today. What incoherent ramblings would you like to share with me? I'm all...um...eyes.

8 comments:

Beverley Kendall said...

THANK YOU!!! In real life we do things that are not rational, logical, sane even. So to expect that are h/h will be completely logical and rational and yes even sane is not realistic. Women are strong but they are weak too. Men can be sensitive and loving (sometimes) and other times...hmmm...not so much. If I can have a day where my feelings are all over the place, so can my heroine.

Kelly Krysten said...

I agree with you and Beverley. Human beings aren't logical when feelings are involved. I hate it when I read reviews of books I love and they say this makes the characters stupid. Smart people can do stupid things!
And Jacqueline, I think the tortured hero is over done. Nothing wrong with a little variety.

Ann Aguirre said...

"You can kill a story by over-analyzing it."

Oh yes. I've just about murdered my muse by thinking too much. I used to do it all on automatic and now I'm over-thinking EVERYTHING.

Anonymous said...

Emotions have their own logic. It's best to feel rather than think your way through.

Alice

Who is typing one handed because of the donut in the other.

lacey kaye said...

LOL, Alice!

I still don't get why you think your heroes need to be tortured? Maybe that will be another blog topic!

Ericka Scott said...

Hmmmm. . . Alice brought donutes and didn't share!!

Hope you are enjoying your time "alone"

Tessa Dare said...

I'm all for irrational emotions and incoherent rambling! (The two often go hand-in-hand for me.)

Really - almost any time I'm feeling a strong sense of annoyance or depression or anger, I try to tell myself it's irrational. That never works. Emotions don't have to make sense to be real.

Jody W. and Meankitty said...

Incoherent ramblings for today, courtesy of Baby Rose:

It wasn't contact dermititis, it was roseola!

White shirt bad. No shirt incites a nursing frenzy.

If I get an idea about a story, the baby will invariably get an idea about pooping, and I'll forget the first one.

Speaking of which, gotta go.