Wednesday, May 09, 2007

Wednesday's Child

You've probably heard this poem before:

Monday's child is fair of face,
Tuesday's child is full of grace,
Wednesday's child is full of woe,
Thursday's child has far to go,
Friday's child is loving and giving,
Saturday's child works hard for a living,
But the child that's born on the Sabbath day,
Is bonny and blithe, and good and gay.

I was born on a Saturday, for what it's worth. But the reason this sprang to mind is that today's post does not promise to be an especially upbeat one. I am definitely feeling like Wednesday's child today. Now, I'm going to try to keep myself from sinking into actual woe and avoid a pity party, but Monday's positive outlook has been replaced by a cloud of crushing realities. And if you prefer me in my sunnier and funnier moods, I recommend coming back another day!

So, here are the things that have dampened my enthusiasm over the past few days.
  1. I'm overwhelmed. With work, family, writing, and with just day-to-day living (groceries, cooking, cleaning, laundry, even BREATHING seems like a chore lately). It's crushing me. And it's not like there's a piece I can jettison. Well, except for the writing, which obviously I don't HAVE TO do in any objective sense. Except that I have to do it for my sanity, which brings me to the next issue.
  2. I haven't been writing the past few days. After an awesome flurry last week, and despite the fact that the words are right there when I walk away from the computer, when I sit down to write them, I lose them. And this is because...
  3. I've lost my emotional space for writing. Because I'm so overwhelmed, I feel guilty about any time I devote to writing. This is not helped by the fact that my writing doesn't do anything for anybody except me (although maybe my CPs would kindly disagree by saying that it does something for them because they like reading my stuff, but this is supposed to a downer blog, remember?). However, given how overwhelmed I feel about all the other aspects of my life, it's hard not to ask myself why the hell I'm spending so much time on writing when:

    a) I haven't earned a dime at it.
    b) A realistic assessment of the probabilities suggests I will never earn a dime at it.
    c) I am spending what would otherwise be my family's discretionary capital to support this habit for things like contest entry fees, mailings, web hosting, and--the big Kahuna-conference fees, travel, et.c for National.

    This leads directly to #4.
  4. I was hoping to send out some query letters this week. Some with partials, some without. And then, after I got a very insightful and helpful critique on my query letter from the inimitable and exceptionally talented Annie Dean, I thought, "What the hell am I doing? I could write it exactly as she suggests and the query letter would be fabulous. But do I have a fabulous manuscript to go with it?"

    Answer, obviously, was no. Because, while I have a good partial, the current version of the manuscript has several fairly large holes in it where I slashed and burned scenes and now have to reknit everything back together. A task I have been slacking in favor of writing Lady Libertine because I find writing from scratch infinitely more enjoyable than revising.

    So, let's say I got a request for a full from someone to whom I sent a partial? What then? I'd be scrambling like a madwoman trying to put something together and I'd know it wouldn't be as good as it would be. And what's the point of sending an agent/editor anything less than the very best manuscript I have to offer (when I finally have it to offer)? Obviously, there isn't one!

    This internal dialogue led me to ask myself why I was in such an all-fired hurry to query when I know I'm not ready. And I know. It's because if someone requested my full from my partial or my partial from my query, I'd feel in some sense validated. Like this whole writing thing isn't some gigantic time-and-money sucker that's sapping the emotional life out of me and, by extension, my family.

    But that is a suck-ass reason for trying to sell my book before it's ready to be sold. It's a suck-ass way to validate what I'm doing with my time, money, and emotional energy. If I can't think of a better reason for writing than to prove my writing is worthwhile by some external measure, it probably is a waste.
So, after drenching my CPs' shoulders yesterday with my woes, I came to the conclusion that it's time for me to step back and just let stuff come when it's ready. No more forcing it. If I'm ready to pitch at National, I'm ready. I have my editor and agent appointments, but if I know for sure what I have just isn't up to snuff, I'm cool with canceling them and letting someone who's in a better place have my slot. I'd like to be ready, of course, but I'm not going to pressure myself to have something ready.

Because it's the self-pressure, along with the self-doubt that goes along with the need for external validation, that's sucking the joy out of writing and that, in turn, is sucking the joy out of everything else. I have to write to be happy. That's all I need to know to "justify" doing it. The other stuff will happen when it's good and ready to happen. Forcing it will only make me miserable.

Settling in with all of this hasn't been easy. When I was a teenager and my family got a piano, I gave up on piano lessons very quickly because I didn't want to learn to play piano--I wanted to play it. Now, damn it! But just like learning to play the piano, learning to write a book takes time and practice. You can't rush it. Good things come to those who wait.

So perhaps Wednesday's child should be full of wait.

17 comments:

lacey kaye said...

((Hugs))

Waiting is the hardest part. Remember when you wanted boobs? :-)

Jackie Barbosa said...

Sort of. I still want them, actually. Maybe someday, I'll be able to afford a pair...

Erica Ridley said...

Bwa. Boobs aren't all they're cracked up to be.

I'm Sunday's child, which means I'm blithe and gay, and yet I feel the same frustrations. I so empathize with you!

Lady Leigh said...

I finally got boobs with the pregnancy, but now my belly is overshadowing everything else. Not to mention my butt, sigh.

Anyway, Jacq, I totally feel your pain. I have been going through the exact same thing- killing myself to get my full done IN CASE I get a request, but in the mean time losing my joy for what I was doing. Worrying that I had wasted my time. Feeling guilt for my child (who isn't even born yet!) just because I was really stressed about pitching this weekend and all that would entail- validation or failure. Its so hard to put everything into these books without any sense of what the future holds.

Alas- I'm sending you a hug! After worrying myself to the point of tears (literally) I finally did the same as you- stopped pushing so hard, took a step back, and decided to let the cards fall as they will. If I get a request for a full anytime soon, I'm screwed. But, its spring and I'm going to enjoy it, damn it! ;-)

Unknown said...

Are you my psychic twin? I could copy your blog and paste it into mine, but that would be plagiarism, wouldn't it.

I am actually a Wednesday child. And I've got boobs, too. 38 DD, and at the end of the day....talk about your woe.

Lately I've just tried to really mellow out. Everybody seems like in some sort of a frenzy in Blogworld, worrying about wordcount, queries and what have you. I know I'm consistent in being INconsistent, and I'm going to give myself permission to float a bit. I find I'm more apt to get ideas when I'm not trying so hard to think, LOL!

Of course, it helps that I'm not going to National. But I'll practice my pitch to my teddy bear.

lacey kaye said...

Maggie, I wondered the other day if the blogs don't really create some of the problem. Jacq and I were talking about our Real Work, and how we both really enjoy what we do, but lately RW seems to get in the way of everything else!

So I think that's why some of my blogs get really wrapped up in Day Job stuff. The pressure to constantly put out writing-related stuff is harsh!

PS love all the boobs

Darcy Burke said...

I don't blog because I can't keep up. It's enough to keep up with my rockin' CPs and my own stuff. It's sometimes hard not to feel pressured to go to the next level when (seemingly) everyone around you is ready (gee, sounds like I'm considering losing my virginity, LOL). But, this isn't a race and I want to be happy with my product before I try to sell it.

I'm still gunning to be "ready" to sell Notorious by National! Reading and commenting on blogs is NOT helping that goal!
Darcy

Jackie Barbosa said...

It's good to hear that other people are struggling with the same issues. Which, by the way, is one of the reasons I blog. I feel SO much less alone and, quite honestly, blogging helps me work through my issues in ways I just can't in my head and often don't in email with my CPs. For whatever reason, it has a cathartic quality that's immensely helpful.

The key thing I got from this particular post was that as long as writing gives me joy, that's justification. The rest will follow, but I have to have the joy first. Without the joy, it's all for naught!

So, I'm concentrating on the joy. See, it turned out to be an upbeat topic after all!

Anonymous said...

I feel for you Jacqueline. I've been re-knitting the same blasted scene for months now. I know what it's supposed to be like, I just can't seem to get there.

Alice

Beverley Kendall said...

Boy do I hear you. Writing is hard but we do it because we can't not do it. I had to put my second novel on hold until I right the first one. What would be the point having only the the first draft of ATR done when AHR is still in need of surgery. I know me, and I don't juggle very well. Right now there is no editor giving me a deadline so I'm going to fix AHR and make it right. I'm almost half way through ATR, so I'll get back to it when AHR is good and ready.

You know that you have to do this right. You know you have to give it your darndest good try or you will never forgive yourself.

Tomorrow is Thursday and you'll be done with your Wednesday Blues. :)

And I'm thoroughly enjoying what you sent me!!!

Evangeline Holland said...

I feel you Jacqueline because I go through this in long spurts. And I do think it's the blogs that contribute to this pressure we place on ourselves(agent opinions, new deals, editor interview, author's upcoming books, etc at our immediate fingertips), which is why I made the decision to stay as far away from as many romance writing/reading related websites/blogs as possible--isn't the internet supposed to be for entertainment? Using it to whip myself into a frenzy is going opposite of the WWW's intentions (so I waste my time at gossip blogs instead. *GGG*).

It's hard to sit back and let things come to you when all you hear is: get your name out there, get readers' attention before you're published, "we're looking for X-type of mS", and so on from "TPTB". But I'm trying my hardest to ignore it all.

Tessa Dare said...

I'm a Sunday's child, and I don't feel especialy bonny, good, blithe, or gay. And as my baby is now 9 months, my 34Ds have just about outlived their usefulness.

But other than that, I could have written just about every word in that post. I go through this constantly - is my family paying too high a price for me to pursue writing. I'm not making money at all right now, and we're constantly broke, it's sapping a lot of my time and energy that I could be putting into my family and our home. I have a LOT of guilt.

I'm giving myself until August to concentrate on writing first - then Dallas will be over, my son will be a year old, and I should have 2 novels drafted that I can work on revising and submitting in my spare time, even if I get a job again. Then it's back to work for me, I think.

Jody W. and Meankitty said...

What they said!

On another blog yesterday, somebody asked the question, "What is one thing you could do that would make your life a little easier tomorrow?" Since I couldn't *really* sell the children to gypsies or win the lottery, I realized the most influential thing I could do would be, you guessed it, quit trying to get published.

Eh, life's hard!

Jackie Barbosa said...

Ah, Tessa and Jody, it's good to hear from other mommies in the same boat. Your kids are so much younger than mine, though. I admire the fact that you've been writing at all. I really COULDN'T write when my kids were that age; they sucked up every last ounce of my creative juices in baby and toddlerhood, I'm afraid.

And Jody, I laughed at selling the children to the gypsies. You mean that's actually NOT done? Damn! Another empty threat I've been making all these years!

But you, Jody, ARE published. In novella at any rate. I'd settle for that at this point. But so far, no word from Harlequin on Carnally Ever After. And it's long past 5 weeks since I subbed. Guess it's time to start beating other bushes, except, damn, there's ANOTHER thing I have to do!

But this is why I love the blog and won't give it up. Maybe it is a kind of self-imposed pressure, but it's great to know I'm not alone in this madcap world of writing. How did writers maintain their sanity before the Internet, that's what I want to know!

Ericka Scott said...

{{{{{Hugs}}}}}

Boy, this writing life is certainly tough. I know I have two preschoolers, and there are some days when I can't eat and shower in the same day. Sigh. . . thank goodness they still nap.

And I feel guilty too. I've convinced my hubby to spend $ that I'm not earning to hire a babysitter a couple of afternoons in the summer so that I can write. But, thinking about having all the kids home, all day long, for all summer long just makes me want to cry.

Kristian Mercer said...

OMG, is there something in the air or what? Lacey shared your blog with me as I was just moaning about the same thing here in Seattle (on Tuesday, not Wednesday, but still) and feeling the same way about writing, life, work, the whole darn thing. Sounds like you have come to an excellent resolution - hope that the weekend has treated you well!

lacey kaye said...

Oh, Ericka, I seriously don't know how you moms do it. You're like heroes.

Kristian...Kelli wrote a blog about this, too!